Xydexx Map Department
Local history and old maps have been a longtime interest of mine. It's always fascinating to discover something new about the town I grew up in or to find references to buildings and people that have been all but forgotten.
The Xydexx Map Department will be a collection of maps and historical information, compiled from various sources, that I use for researching local history. The collection will focus primarily on New York's Hudson Valley region, especially Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess Counties. Other maps will be created on an as-needed basis.
The Xydexx Map Department is currently working on the following projects:
- Post Roads in Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess Counties
- The Albany Post Road from New York City to Albany
- Maps and information about Kensico, NY
- Maps and information about Eastview, NY
- Historical map of the town of Mount Pleasant
Useful Links for Map Collections
- American Memory Collection – Library of Congress' website which contains a multitude of maps, including an extensive collection of railroad maps.
- Historic Map Works – The largest online collection of historic maps, with over 1.2 million images online.
- David Rumsey Map Collection – A collection of rare 18th and 19th century maps of North and South America, with more than 21,000 items online.
- Maptech Historical Maps – (Note: down at the moment) MapTech's huge collection of historical topographic maps, mostly East Coast states.
- Historic USGS Maps – University of New Hampshire's collection of historic USGS maps, focusing mainly on New England.
Watch this page for more maps!